Skip to main content

What a year, what a week, what a day...

 Nap Time GIF - Nap Time Tired GIFs

November 10, 2021

As I write this date, it doesn't seem possible.  I have two thoughts.  

1.) How is it ALREADY November 10th? 

2.) How is it ONLY November 10th?

This year seems to not allow enough time for all of the things that need to get done in both of my schools that I work in this year but it also seems to be dragging by as it feels like there is no end in sight.  It's a hard hard year.  I've been teaching since 2006 and this is by far the hardest.  I have asked around how others are feeling.  Was last year harder?  Is this year the hardest?  I have not found one person, not one in the dozens I've asked that said last year was worse.  So what is it?  What is making this so difficult for everyone?  The answer:  EXHAUSTION.

We are mentally and emotionally exhausted.  The worries we carry everyday around the health and well being of our families and our colleagues are impossible.  The stress and workloads we have with ever-changing policies and procedures to manage this pandemic.  Contact tracing and keeping track of who is with who for how long and where.  

On top of that all our principal announced very suddenly last week that she was taking a leave of absence that would start immediately.  This was after a "reporter" called the school to ask if we were pushing a transgender agenda on first grade students with the library books we were sending home.  

And then a tragedy.  The amazing woman that basically ran our school passed away very unexpectedly. The school community is absolutely devastated and everyone is feeling her absence whole heartedly.  I just keep asking myself when will relief come?  When can we breathe again?  

But, silver lining...I have the BEST job in the school!  I truly believe that.  And I am making a difference with students every single day.  I know I just have to keep trucking along but this is hard.  Really hard.

~Ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One final reflection..

It is hard to believe that this is my final reflection and an end to the coursework to obtain my ed-tech specialist endorsement.  For three years I have been working towards gaining expertise and knowledge and skills and an understanding.  My pedagogy has shifted, my focus too.  When I began this journey, I intended to work towards becoming a STEAM teacher.  I wanted to teach kids about technology.  Now, I will be working mostly with adults as a coach and I have never felt more prepared than I do right now. Not only has a pandemic ravaged our world, but our roles in education have also shifted and changed in an instant.  It is only because of the last three years of graduate courses that I have taken that I have felt solidly prepared for this challenge.   If you had asked me two weeks ago how I was doing, I might have said awful.  This is a very different response for me because typically, I am lighthearted and energetic ...

Should I Have Quit Facebook? Something to think about...

A few years ago, I quit Facebook and never really started Twitter.  I found myself after hours and hours of "research" realizing that I had been lost in cyberspace, reading a lot and learning about absolutely nothing that would help me be a better citizen of the world.  I would look at pages of people I knew, which led me to pages with people I sort of knew, which led me to pages of people I did in fact know but didn't realize they knew the other person I knew.  Then I began my sleuth missions, looking to see why some people were connected to others or why they weren't. Waste. Of. Time. I realize now that I can quit Facebook and Twitter as personal relationship social media, but it is irreplaceable for the professional connections and collaborations that can be created.  It is our job is to be stewards of educational technology. To do that well, we must be connected in ways that are immediate, relevant, and allow us to collaborate globally.  These two platform...

EDLI 372 Final Reflection

T he learning that was created for me with this course has been absolutely invaluable.  Through the course projects, our gifted professor and guest speakers, all students enrolled were able to leave with a better understanding of what it takes to lead a school library program. It showed me how collaboration with colleagues across the district can create much needed changes in our policies and procedures and have plans to develop those lacking areas this year.  The text book that we purchase was inspiring and gave me actionable steps to managing the school library including collection developments and developing relationships with staff and patrons.  The discussions and assignments motivated me to implement ideas immediately into our library programming.    Flexibility and understanding by our instructor, Judith Kaplan, were commendable during this course.  For many of us, this was absolutely the toughest year in education.  I have b...